Football in Latin American countries

       
Fan's celebration/devastation of the scored goal at the Xolos' game
            In anticipation of the main football event of the year between Liverpool and Tottenham, I've decided to shade a light (solely from my personal point of view) on this sport from the Latin American prospective. It is well-known fact, that players from this continent have conquered fans' hearts around the world. Pele, Maradona, Messi... the list is long and their strong affection to this game is obvious. With the stereotype, that "everyone in here is crazy about football", I want to find out how true this statement is. I've attended couple games in Mexico and Colombia, and will share my experience. Why does it matter or why should you, my dear reader, read this article? Well, I had been to several football games in my life in different countries, I had been following this sport since I was kid, I had turned it into my hobby, and isn't it interesting to find out if  'footballomania' is a real thing that exists in the blood of the Latinos?
          My first tête-à-tête experience had happened in 2003 in Russia at the game of the local team Rubin (Kazan) with notorious Spartak (most titled Russian team from the Moscow). Now, I don't remember much of the game's details, but the electric atmosphere in the stadium, passionate fans, the vivid memories of two competing teams, and joy of the victory made me feel like I was witnessing a gladiator's fight in the Colosseum. This game colorfully lingered for a long time in my memory and immediately turned me into a football fan. It is worth mentioning, that Rubin had became country's champion in 2008 and 2009 and can boast an unexpected win against FC Barcelona in their debut League of Champions season. Another memorable game that floats on the top of my mind had taken place in border town Tijuana (Mexico), where home team - Xolos was playing against America (the wealthiest and the most titled in Liga MX from the capital Mexico City). OMG!!! I'm not sure if I can coherently explain the frenzy fans, delicious pregame tacos, unstoppable drum roars, dazzling blend of jersey colors and banners during 90 minutes of high intensity football game. Not a second to take a breath! We were lucky to have seats close to the fan's sector, where we can hear them singing, yes, hundreds of people singing in unison, accompanied by 'bah-bah-bah' drums rocking the stadium. I had never seen such passionate and outspoken fans! Every guest's goalkeeper's ball kick was followed by "Eeeeeeuuuuuhhhhh....P-U-U-T-O" by at least half of the stadium. Although it sounds very funny (here is the sample), it still might be considered by some as offensive. The Mexican Football Federation and the national team had been fined for their fan's behavior several times in their history, as recent as in the World Cup in Russia. The referee was yelled at by at least dozen different names, elaborate nicknames and epithets were given to each America's player, the place really reminded battleground of the two vicious enemies. Just like in Roman Empire, where 'bread and circus' were served to please the spectators, in Tijuana we had enjoyed 'de-licking-my-fingers-licious' tacos de carde asada, refreshing beer, and multitude of spicy snacks. The experience can be truly called unforgettable. Unforgettable, but incomparable too? With this thought, I went to the game of Millionarios - one of the most successful teams in Colombia, the last South American club, for which played Alfredo Di Stefano (before moving to Real Madrid) - widely regarded as one of the best football players of all time. I've witnessed the same passion, love to the game, fans support. Although I felt that the game was missing spiciness, pregaming, or intensity that I had absorbed in the Mexican game.
           After visiting several games, hanging out at stadium's museum, and talking to people, I've came to conclusion that I was wrong about the stereotype. Latin Americans love football, they are very passionate fans, but this game is not the essence of their life. There are a lot of other types of sports, although I recommend to anyone this 90-minute experience of blazing emotions and vibrant performance. It is truly unique! 
   
Guadalajara (Chivas) dressing room

Fan's light show at the Millionario's game  

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bogota Botanical Garden